[pct-l] Hiking Shoe recommendation for thru-hike

Matt Powers powersonline at yahoo.com
Fri Jan 23 22:19:15 CST 2009

Hello community.  Question for all you gear heads out there.

Im planning on a 2010 thru-hike and have been reading and preparing for this epic adventure for a while now.  One thing I haven't seen yet is a topic on trail shoes (I just joined a month or so ago).  I know some of the archives talk about them, however they are old and outdated.  I guess what I am looking for is advice on which trail shoes folks recommend.  I have a pair of full leather Asolo's that I've been using, but I am hearing folks say to stick with Trail Runners for good reason.  That all being said, any recommendations out there?  Are The North Face Ultra 104 GTX XCR's any good?  And how many pair of shoes is recommended for this trek?

Thank you for listening to my long-winded post.  Your suggestions are appreciated.

Matt-