[pct-l] Hiking Shoe recommendation for thru-hike

Thomas Jamrog balrog at midcoast.com
Sat Jan 24 06:14:06 CST 2009

New Balance were junk for me .
   New Balance was following my 2007 AT thru hike via my
Trailjournal , due to my brother being an executive with the company.
They contacted me and offered to supply me with shoes for the rest of
the hike.  They were using the angle that "Why are you hiking in
British shoes when we have US shoes that are just a good?  How about
supporting the US industry?"  Ok, I said, but I promised to be honest
with them.  They told me they had a super strong model that would
stand up like the Inov8's did.  I received the shoes in Harper's Ferry.
Both soles delaminated after just 200 miles, just two weeks!.  I  was
eventually using shoe goo to keep large chunks of the sole from
flapping as I walked.  When asked what they had  as an option that
were as sturdy, they replied that they had nothing they could offer me
as a backup.    I went back to the Inov8 Terr Roc 330's, which had
served me well for 700 miles.  Not many know of the company, but no
one shoe fits all, they say.  Inov8 worked well for me, mostly.  It is
what I hike in now, and I get no free shoes from them.  There was no
comparison about the quality between the two shoes I am talking about.
On the other hand, there are folks that do well with New Balance , but
you asked the question about dominance and I replied.   I really
wanted the New Balance offer to work, but no way.  By the way I am 200
pounds and a pretty vigorous hiker.
Uncle Tom