[pct-l] Alcohol availability? Mailing fuel

Frank Dumville fdumville at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 24 11:29:36 CST 2009

On mailing fuel:
Don't go to the post office and ask how to do it. The postal clerks may not
know the regulations and will just say no.
USPS publication 52 details what can be mailed and how to do it. Alcohol,
canisters and solid fuel tabs can be shipped surface mail only in limited
quantities.
http://pe.usps.gov/cpim/ftp/pubs/Pub52/pub52.pdf
Review Pub 52 and print the title page and pertinent sections. When you go
to the post office have your packages properly labeled and bring your
sections of the publication. If they balk at mailing it you can show them
'their' regulations and that should at least get them to ask someone else.
Be courteous and patient. This is a safety issue for the post office so they
will err on the side of caution and say no. I had to go through three levels
of supervision and a call to the hazardous material expert once at a large
urban post office. I never had a problem at a post office in a trail own.

The problem with mailing fuel is that surface mail is very slow so you have
to mail with plenty of lead time. Don't mail your fuel with your other
supplies, if it doesn't get there you won't lose everything.

Snap