[pct-l] Don't cook/sleep in the same spot...

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Jan 24 19:21:07 CST 2009

On Jan 24, 2009, at 3:12 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Regardless of the food handling techniques you use in bear areas
> don't cook
> in the same spot that you sleep.

I thought about this. Most people would sleep in places where other
people had had breakfast.

> In problem bear areas never camp at established camp sites.
Trouble with the PCT is that camp sites are often few and far
between. The trail tends to be perched on a slope. It's sometimes
easier to find something to drink than a place to sleep.

The High Sierra is a bit of an exception, not being so ledge-like.
But people are munching their way down the trail. There are so many
people there. I came across people of all kinds, some of whom were
blatantly disregarding the rules, making campfires above 10,000 feet,
leaving trails of almonds on the trail. I don't think there is such a
thing as getting away from where someone else has eaten. At least we
thru-hikers all smell so awful that we probably smell less like
inviting food and more like outhouses.

In Section A, before the uncommitted are shaken out, there are plenty
of thru-hikers who litter. I'm glad the ones who commit to the trail
are good about litter. The ones who are not need to learn. It is not
ok to stuff your wrappers in the rock wall near the fire tank, or
burn plastic and foil in your campfire. And for god's sake, please do
not burn your TP. Part of the trail was closed last year because
someone did that. In fact, hardly a day goes by for the first 700
miles when you don't walk through charred forest. I wonder how much
of that is from burnt toilet paper.