[pct-l] Deer Avoidance

Stephen reddirt2 at earthlink.net
Sun Jan 25 15:26:07 CST 2009

Deer are scarry!  Wait 'till you've been alone a couple days, it's dark in the forest beneath the thick branches and as you lay there you start hearing things near camp, or think you do.  So you lay there listening, and there it is, and then a big crack as a small branch snaps.  Big Foot !!!  Naw, probably just a deer.  Ilove this stuff, and often get the heebie-geebies walking along alone.  I thrive on it.  I look back a lot and suddenly I realize everything has gone Blair Witch on me.  Ever hear voices in the water?  Trickling creeks and streams close by make all sorts of interesting sounds depending on which way you turn your head when low to the ground.  But maybe it's just me.  It's all entertainment, and it's why we go.  Enjoy it I say.  Embrace these things that give us a rush.
All I am worried about is the poison oak in N.Cal.  I've spent enough time up in the area and have seen it growing across the trail in a big way.  Ibelieve it can be got around, OK, but I'm sending up some Technu and whatever I think necesarry. I've been in it all day once working fire research near Whiskey Town and everyone washed in Technu and washed clothes in it and had no effects.  I did note that at the time I felt like I was trying to shower with Paint Thinner(mineral spirits) and indeed this is oneof theprimary ingredients.  I'm going tomake a post tothis effect this evening.  I think if you can't get Technu on the trail a little mineral spirits might work for getting the oils off your hiking poles and stuff.