[pct-l] burying TP/feces

GARY HEBERT hikerfedex at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 19:16:21 CST 2009

I am not aware of any leave no trace or other rule that does NOT allow for
burying your feces and TP. They specify distance from streams/water,
campsites, and trails, and how deep the hole should be, etc.
Obviously when a privy is available you should use that. Usually these are
in high traffic areas. I too have dug up others' TP, but that's a
density/overuse problem in busy areas/campsites. There are only so many
trees to go behind surrounding a busy campsite. It's not the hiker's fault.
They did follow policy.

I've not read of any policy suggesting I should not bury my TP.

Was somebody really suggesting hikers should pack out their dog's pooh?
(obviously in a public picnic/park area, sure. but on the trail in the
middle of the woods???)

Anybody know anything different on the PCT or elsewhere?

FedEx