[pct-l] Alcohol availability? Mailing fuel

Mann bmann1 at san.rr.com
Sun Jan 25 20:09:17 CST 2009

When Scout and I thru-hiked in '07, we used an alcohol stove for most of the
trip, but wanted something a bit hotter and easier to use for the last part.
We used a pocket rocket that attaches to a butane canister.  We had REI ship
us canisters (they only ship the small ones), and that worked out great.
Never any worries.

BTW, we packed out our TP.  Wish all hikers did the same.  It was no big
deal.  Didn't do anything special with it in bear territory, it just stayed
in our toiletry kit (zip-loc bag) with fresh TP and Purell.

-Frodo