[pct-l] burying TP/feces

GARY HEBERT hikerfedex at gmail.com
Sun Jan 25 20:30:23 CST 2009

I stand corrected.  Many sites are clear, you are correct, the LNT principle
expects us to pack out even highly biodegradable TP. Even when a proper
cathole is dug in a proper location.

Guess I missed that. some posted signs I've seen are much vaguer about
burying human waste, not specifically mentioning TP. I (wrongly)
misunderstood TP to be included with the human waste, not trash.

Here's two examples of less clear LNT policies.

http://georgiatrails.com/features/hikingguidelines.html
<http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.788825/k.8CB0/Leave_No_Trace.htm>
http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.jkLXJ8MQKtH/b.788825/k.8CB0/Leave_No_Trace.htm

Forgive my ignorance.

(I love the outdoors. And I think I respect it and fully & financially
support policies ensuring it's long term viability. But some LNT principles
seem absurd by most outdoor folk's standards. Like not making campfire rings
in permanent campsites because it scorches the rocks, leaving them blackened
vs. a more reasonable policy of not making multiple or new additional fire
rings in permanent campsites.  Or banning open campfires for whole states
vs. restricting/prohibiting open campfires in areas especially vulnerable to
wildfire.  Like speeding, LNT is a concept. It's for everyone's safety &
greater good. But absurd speed limits are ignored and typically not enforced
(and worth the fine when they are.)  It's another discussion entirely
whether to pack out TP seems reasonable, depending on all the details &
circumstances.)

....bracing for the flaming attacks....

FedEx