[pct-l] Poison oak

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Jan 25 20:50:05 CST 2009

On Jan 25, 2009, at 2:14 PM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:
> Ever hear voices in the water?
Yes, I hear them all the time. It always sounds like singing. Like a
choir. Freaks me out.
> All I am worried about is the poison oak in N.Cal.
Most of the poison oak people were in holy terror of was not poison
oak at all. It was squaw bush. I mentioned that to someone and he
dared me to prove it by rubbing it on my face. Well, he had vanished
by the time I found some squaw bush to rub on my face, but Cuddles,
if you're reading this, I actually stopped and rubbed it on my face!
It was not poison oak!

I have a web page with pictures of poison oak, if you are interested.
It has many different looks. I ought to have a picture of squaw bush,
too, but I don't. Ray Jardine has an illustration in his PCT Hiker's
Handbook (don't know if it's in Beyond Backpacking or not.)

Here's the link: http://www.santabarbarahikes.com/gorp/poisonoak/

Poison oak isn't something to be too terribly concerned with. Learn
what it looks like and watch where you are going. If you're unsure,
just don't rub up against it.

If you get it, it's just a rash, not a death sentence. Don't scratch!
If you scratch the first time, you'll know it's poison oak because it
will feel orgasmic and painful at the same time. This is a signal to
stop scratching. No matter what, do not scratch. It WILL subside and
go away. HOT HOT water applied to the skin will bring you relief
enough to fall asleep. Benadryl can help, too, if you don't mind side-
effects. But the best thing is to not scratch. The itchiness WILL
subside.

By the way, some may not know this, but poison oak has an escape
clause. If you are ever so lost and tangled in the brush you have to
climb through it to get out, it will let you off without a rash. This
won't help you on the PCT, though.