[pct-l] planning

Christopher Baker c.baker1898 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 12:11:12 CST 2009

So my friend and I have decided to take the leap and thru hike the PCT this
summer. I have found numerous websites which all contain great information.
However, I have a few questions...

I have hiked sections of the AT and I did a couple of weeks in the Rocky
Mountains. I remember having to plan my back country trip with a park
ranger. Does the same apply to the PCT?

I have noticed many people hiking in shorts the whole way (in the desert and
the snow).  I've never hiked in shorts alone, but I like the ideas of
comfort and saving weight. Any thoughts on this?

There are a lot of journal entries which state that the hiker camped off the
trail. Is this technically allowed or are you supposed to stay at an
established campsite?

I am also debating on whether to take a one person tent, or just using a
tarp. I have read about using a tarp with some netting for bugs, but I have
never actually experienced using one. I know everyone is different, but what
is the general consensus on the pros and cons?

Finally, I am moving out of my house (I rent) and I am leaving my job. Other
than keeping in touch with family and friends, I have no real obligation to
society (i.e. a mortgage, a wife and kids, etc.). I am thinking of
continuing my journeys after the PCT.  I would like to get temporary work in
Canada and save up enough money to continue traveling. (Possibly biking 6200
miles of the Trans Canada Trail to Newfoundland)   My question is: have you
or someone you know ever stayed in Canada and gotten a work visa to further
their travels?

Thanks, and I look forward to meeting you on the trail this year! Oh yeah,
one more question: We have heard that their are 09 PCT bandannas available
at the Kick Off in April, but we are not arriving in San Diego until early
May (We are finishing out our leases and jobs thru April). Is there a way
for us to get the bandanna without attending the Kick Off?

Thanks again!

Sincerely,

Chris Baker