[pct-l] Ode to TP - The Three P's of pooping in the woods.

Ron Moak ronmoak at sixmoondesigns.com
Mon Jan 26 12:21:37 CST 2009

A lot has been said over the years of the evils of TP in the backcountry.
I'll even admit that it can be an eye sore at times. I didn't find it to be
particularly problematic on my 2000 PCT hike despite the chorus of TP
critic's decrying the desecration of the wilderness with clumps of TP
scattered about the landscape.

Over the years I've developed my own methodologies of waste disposal based
upon some unique knowledge. Acquired by actually having a degree in Forestry
and having once worked for several years at one of the largest wastewater
treatment facilities on the East Coast. This somewhat uncommon collection of
skills allowed me to look beyond the simple bury, burn or pack out
philosophies pushed by various camps.

Before postulating on my Three P's a few comments are needed to fill in the
picture of TP.

While it's true chemicals are used in the production of TP to both breakdown
and soften the natural wood fibers and bleach the color, very little of it
remains in the TP post production. Remember that 99.999999% of your TP
travels through large wastewater facilities. The discharge from these
facilities is sent back into major rivers. So one town's discharge becomes
another town's drinking water. Any significant chemicals in TP would leach
out and become a become a nightmare in our major rivers. The result is that
TP is little different in cellular composition than that leaf litter upon
which it may ultimately reside.

Second TP is designed to breakdown and decompose quickly. If it didn't you'd
get to know your plumber better than your spouse and your local treatment
plants would quickly become overwhelmed. The trick is understanding the
nature of TP to allow it breakdown quickly and effectively in the dry
environment normally found along the PCT.

The Poop, Pee and Puree method of Waste Disposal

Over the years I started considering both the nature of TP and the natural
environment to find a suitable method of disposing waste so that it will
decay naturally, quickly and eliminate the potential of an unsightly mess.
The result of too much thought, was the formation of the Poop, Pee and Puree
method of waste disposal.

It's a very simple method that not only eliminates any sign of the TP is
also uses the TP to speed up the breakdown of the waste.

In practice once you've pooped and wiped off with TP, you pee on the TP. Or
if you're unable to pee a half cup of water poured on will work fine. Then
with a stick, stir the poop, pee and TP into a slurry and cover with several
inches of top soil.

The stirring performs several tasks. First it helps break apart the fibers
of the TP and mix it with the waste. It helps to spread the moisture
throughout the poop and the TP. Properly mixed, the TP will  thoroughly
incorporated and longer a possible eye sore.

The TP also plays and important function in the breakdown of the waste. The
incorporated TP will hold additional water like a sponge. Without the
additional moisture, your poop may dry out before colonies of bacteria that
break down the poop have a chance to grow. The result is petrified lump of
poop. The water held with the stands of TP will enhance the opportunity of
these natural decomposition processes to occur.

Now the 3P method may not be your cup of tea, but if you're not in to
packing out TP and want to help nature recover faster, it may your ticket to
a quilt free backcountry purge.