[pct-l] Burying the stuff....

Georgi Heitman bobbnweav at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 12:58:53 CST 2009

O.K.   so you don't want to bury the stuff you've just eliminated from your
body...your choice.  I'm old enough that when I backpacked, carrying it out
hadn't been suggested yet....I still HAVE a Eureka Timberline, if that helps
nail down the era to which I refer.  But, we were told that burying feces
too deep could mean that were wouldn't be enough bacteria in the surrounding
soil to break down what you've deposited.  I think 8 inches was about max.
In my day, the handle on your little shovel was marked in inches so you'd
know when you'd reached the 'right' depth.  (I carried my duct tape wrapped
around the top bar of my Jan Sport D2 or D3, I forget which I had.)  And
FTR, even way back then we soon realized what all those little white spots
up on the hillsides were, and began toting our T.P. out...or at least til we
found a fire ring at a camp site.
Oh, and you might check the handle of that shovel before you cover it with
anything....
FireFly