[pct-l] planning

montypct montypct at gmail.com
Mon Jan 26 13:11:42 CST 2009

> I remember having to plan my back country trip with a park
> ranger. Does the same apply to the PCT?
If you mean planning for the sake of permits go to www.pcta.org and look up
permits  (thru hike permit)
> I have noticed many people hiking in shorts the whole way (in the desert
> and
> the snow).  I've never hiked in shorts alone, but I like the ideas of
> comfort and saving weight. Any thoughts on this?

I pretty much hike this way but carry cold weather clothing too.  It usually
gets cold at night.

> There are a lot of journal entries which state that the hiker camped off
> the
> trail. Is this technically allowed or are you supposed to stay at an
> established campsite?

Wherever you camp, just try to leave-no-trace you have been there.

> I am also debating on whether to take a one person tent, or just using a
> tarp. I have read about using a tarp with some netting for bugs, but I
> have
> never actually experienced using one.

I only use a tarp, but I have a lot of experience doing so.  Without the
experience i say use a tent.

 Is there a way
> for us to get the bandanna without attending the Kick Off?
If I have this right, Gottago, who generously donates the bandanas every
year, has traditionally left some up the trail at mile 453, Hiker Heaven,
for the hikers who did not attend the Kick Off.  You would ask for one
there.  One might appear.

Happy Hiking

Warner Springs Monty

Lightweight Backpacking
The fun goes up when the weight goes down
-Warner Springs Monty