[pct-l] PCT mountain climbing

Vic Hanson vichansonperu at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 26 18:12:48 CST 2009

For anyone interested in the mountains along the PCT (or anywhere in the world for that matter), one of the best sites is www.summitpost.org. From the home page type in the mountain name in the search window (upper right hand corner) using just the name, ie Shasta, or for less entries use the title and name, ie Mount Shasta, and it will bring up the listings on the site for that mountain. The mountain page will describe the route, difficulty, how to get there, usually needed equipment and other helpful information. On the left hand side of the mountain page are related links like routes and trip reports. While not specifically related to the PCT, some writers will give access routes from the PCT if it is close. Here is the page for Mount Shasta:

http://www.summitpost.org/mountain/rock/150188/mount-shasta.html

It includes a topo map, Google Map link, 13 different route pages, 41 trip report pages and 5 photo albums, along with 907 photos on or linked to the main page.

For an overview of the PCT you can go to my PCT page there at:

http://www.summitpost.org/custom-object/292576/pacific-crest-trail.html

Scroll down on left until you reach "Parents" and it will list the mountain ranges that the PCT passes through. Under each range page if you scroll down to "Children" it will list each mountain in that range. If a mountain isn't listed, it means that no Summit Post member has done a page for that mountain, but I'm sure all the 14ers have pages. Because the pages are all done by various members, the detail and quality will vary depending on the person. There is also a section for comments and corrections, which helps keep things more accurate

You should be able to find most of the information needed here if you have the time to follow the route and trip report links.

Happy climbing!

Sugar Daddy

Interested in a South American Adventure? Adventure Cotahuasi Tours is starting it's third year in offering adventure tours in Peru.
http://www.adventurecotahuasi.com

Have a look at my blog to see photos and stories of ministry and other activities I am involved in here.
http://vichanson.spaces.live.com/

I have lots of mountain climbing and hiking reports, and information available on my homepage at Summit Post, with lots of photos.
http://www.summitpost.org/user_page.php?user_id=28256