[pct-l] Sierra Club groups

Tortoise Tortoise73 at charter.net
Mon Jan 26 21:21:00 CST 2009

I've led beginner backpacks. However I usually instead led trips that
are suitable for beginners. I screened and ask questions which causes
most of the unsuitables to drop out.

I remember one trip over Memorial Day weekend. Forecast was OK -- slight
chance of rain and on the cool side. After we got to our planned camp
site and were hanging around, we had rain that was changing to snow.
Several participants looked unprepared for the weather we were having
and one guy was acting goofy. I didn't know if he was getting
hypothermic or what. So I made the decision to abort the trip. We packed
and hiked back out. Got to our cars at the trailhead about dark. We all
stopped at Mel's drivein in Jackson, CA for a late supper and most
seemed relieved that we came out. Turns out where we were had several
inches of snow and there was a small earthquake!  Some time later I
again met the guy that was acting goofy -- he was goofy.

Other leaders may have stayed and "toughed it out".  Some participants
may have been disappointed but I didn't have to do an accident report.

As with all such decisions one never knows if one made the right
decision because one never knows what would have happened if one had
made a different decision.

Tortoise

<> He who finishes last, wins! <>