[pct-l] Stealth camping

Trekker4 at aol.com Trekker4 at aol.com
Tue Jan 27 09:07:51 CST 2009

I remember two hikers last summer, Park Bench &  Laces, who must have stealth
camped dozens times. In OR Laces was saying  she'd only spent $12.50 on
lodging all the way from Mexico. They'd show up in  the morning, obviously not
having stayed where others of us did. As frequently  happens to this slower,
section hiker, these two thru hikers goofed around a  lot; I saw them over a two
week period - coming up behind me  again  (over half a dozen times), still in
town when I got there, etc. One day,  just S of Ashland I believe, they were
going to zoom into town  by doing another ten miles. Two hours later, Park Bench
was on his 3rd beer  at a Trail Angel stop. They passed me later that day, but
only  beat me into town by a couple hours the next day; as they slept in a
lot also.  This isn't a criticism; I enjoyed seeing them, and talking to them.
I don't remember the town in 2007, but one guy,  with some implausible
stories about his gullibility,  stealthed(flagged by  Spell Check, so copyright 2009
by Trekker) on the edge of that town for  three nights. It can obviously be
done; just look around on the way in,   and use your imagination. Where motels
are $90, a stealthy night buys a lot  of Ben & Jerry's.
    Funny, slightly related story: Once on the AT  myself and a female were
in a no-camping section, possibly; there was  no marker at the N end of the
section it turned out, so we were never  sure. We went down a side footpath until
the top of the tent couldn't  be seen from the trail and camped; of course no
one was going to be  patrolling anyhow. About halfway through dusk, she went
off a ways for her final  squat for the night. Just as she pulled her pants
down and squatted, a very,  very, very close Barred Owl opened his/her mouth.
I've never seen  someone jump up so fast! I laughed and laughed, but she was not
a happy camper,  both from the owl and my laughter. She was sure it was some
guy in the  woods behind her, she admitted two days later.

Bob  "Trekker"
Big Bend Desert Denizen
Naturalized Citizen - Republic of  Texas

**************Know Your Numbers: Get tips and tools to help you improve your
credit score.
(http://www.walletpop.com/credit/credit-reports?ncid=emlcntuswall00000002)