[pct-l] Poison Oak Immunization

rcluster at comcast.net rcluster at comcast.net
Tue Jan 27 15:38:54 CST 2009

<snip>
> Think about it. Have
> you ever heard of bee sting immunization? Peanut butter immunization? Hives?
> Psoriasis? Celiac disease? I suspect you have not - and for good reason.
<snip>

Actually, yes to the bee sting immunization. Not immunization really, I think it's actually called desensitization. It is a series of injections, about a week apart, that contain an increasing concentration of the allergen (venom). Under close medical supervision only. If I recall, you have to remain in the doctors office for well over an hour after each shot. Seems like I've even heard of a program for snake venom.

I have taken similar allergy shots for pollen allergies and they do work. There is also a shot program for some food allergies but apparently they are much less effective. (Avoidance is better)

I have never heard of any program for poison oak.

And my opinion is that intentionally ingesting something that is known to cause your body to have that type of reaction, unless this is being done under the direct supervision of a doctor, is a pretty good definition of insanity.

Ron Cluster
Eugene, OR