[pct-l] Base Weight

Bill BillBatch at cox.net
Tue Jan 27 19:01:10 CST 2009

Also, I would not stress too much about 30 pounds vs say 32 pounds.   If,
for example, you find that you are on a 5.5 day section and start off with
33 pounds due to the five days of food pushing the number up, you will be
below 30 pounds again in a day or so.   The ratings are usually not that
tight that they are hyper sensitive to the upper rating.  Also, often the
upper rating is based on how comfortable the bag will be not the
infrastructure.  For example, perhaps the bag can handle 38 pounds for
extended periods but over 30 pounds the padding on the shoulder straps is
not all it could be and tend to dig in a bit.

If the rating is 30 pounds and you spend the majority of the time at (or
well below), the bag should be fine even if there are relatively short
durations where you need to go over the limit a bit. All that, of course,
assumes it is built by a solid company that has tested their ratings
thoroughly.

This has been my experience.  I hike with a GoLite pack.

Best to you,
Pink Gumby