[pct-l] Sleeping Bags and Pags

meghan west meghan.west at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 10:34:12 CST 2009

I used the gossamer gear pad and loved it.  My hiking partner used a
thermarest, and it was definitely more comfortable, but he was constantly
worrying about getting holes in it.  I could throw my sleep pad down
anywhere for a break.  The hassle wasn't worth the comfort for me.  We both
used quilts and they were great.  I recommend getting straps so you can
close the quilt tighter in colder weather.  However, I tend to sleep quite
cold (even after big meals and snacking), so there were nights I wore all my
gear under my quilt (when it was around 30 deg out).

Basically, if you're sensitive to pressure points when you sleep, go for a
cushier sleep pad, because you will need good sleep (and exhausted as you'll
be, there will be nights you just can't get comfortable).  And if you sleep
cold, be prepared to need extra layers.

-Bling