[pct-l] Poison Oak Immunization

kmurray at pol.net kmurray at pol.net
Wed Jan 28 12:09:46 CST 2009

Interesting thread about this subject.

Indeed, the process described MIGHT be useful for an allergy (also might
not).

However, it should be noted that the reaction that people have to poison
oak is NOT an allergy in the standard sense (IgE mediated reaction, in
which blocking IgG may be possible to generate to blunt the response).

It is a contact dermatitis, a WHOLE different type of chemical reaction
that does NOT work in the same way as allergies to, say, peanuts or grass.
As such, it is very unlikely to respond to a technique which is designed
to work for a totally different type of chemical reaction.

There ARE people who are ALSO actually allergic to poison oak, and have
both reactions.  However the reaction that allergic people have to the
casual contact that we all experience can be life-threatening, and instead
of taking a day or so to begin, starts right away.

I also agree that using this approach is hazardous, and unlikely to
produce a result that one would enjoy......

Ken Murray, MD