[pct-l] Sleeping Bags and Pags

Jeannie Zortman jeanmzortman at aol.com
Wed Jan 28 13:00:06 CST 2009

I will add my 2 cents worth here! I am obsessed with sleeping bags it
seems! I've tried going light, even too light, freezing my ... off, to
the other extreme, carrying a big cheap 0 degree synthetic that filled
my whole pack! To this day, I can't bring myself to part with any of
them. I agree with Monty, the fun goes up when the weight goes down,
but I also agree that it's no fun to be cold! I sleep pretty cold.

The bag!

  For me the 15 degree marmot helium at 13 oz was the optimum weight
vs cold ratio. Love this bag. miss the longer zipper of my summer bag,
the Western Mountaineering Mighty LIght, but, I've never been cold in
the helium even in the grand canyon with heavy frost on the bag. My
secret is to put my down jacket inside the bag with me and slide it
over the part that is chilly. I sleep on my side, so either my butt or
my knees are pressing against the insulation and causes a cold spot.
with the jacket over those areas, I get a little extra airspace. I
have tried bag liners, but I find it more comfortable to sleep in silk
long johns, top and bottom. if its a warmer night, I just lay the bag
over me instead of sleeping inside it.

The pad!

I'm old too! The ground just keeps getting harder each year. Last year
on the PCT, I used the very popular Z-rest, but unlike most thru-
hikers, I kept the whole length. When it got wet in Washington, the
pad kept the sleeping bag dry from the moisture that seemed always to
find it's way in. My feet were warm and dry and softly padded on my
heels. When it's really rocky, I can double it up!  My pack goes under
my knees to give spinal relief. The best part is that it is outside my
pack and easy to grab for rest breaks and drying off after swimming.
Some day, I too, will go back to an inflatable pad, but not for the
prickly desert! Saw too many unhappy campers patching holes.

Hope this helps,
Jellybean