[pct-l] Sleeping Pad

Paul Magnanti pmags at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 28 13:29:42 CST 2009

I used to use a Z-rest.

Than I remembered my boyscout days where Mom and Dad
just bought what was for sale at K-Mart.

Most of the gear was, of course,  heavy, bulky and not suited for backpacking.

But one humble item is now my sleeping pad of choice: The Close Cell Foam Pad
aka the ubiquitous Blue Foam Pad.

Light, cheap (~$10), able to be cut down, nearly indestructible.  I fold it up and use it as a stay in my SMD Essence pack.

It is not for everyone, but if you are looking for something light and functional, it is a good choice. Better suited for cold temps than
thermarest as well.

I used it on the CDT and various other jaunts FWIW.

--Thoreau
http://www.pmags.com
http://www.redbubble.com/people/pmags/art