[pct-l] 1st post / what to tell the boss....

Andrew Jones a.freddy.j at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 19:34:34 CST 2009

Greetings all!

This is my first post - I've been lurking for a few months - my wife and I
are planning to thru in '09 - and really enjoyed the discussion on gear,
planning, etc. I've got a question/topic that I hope will help change the
subject from eating poison oak/ivy, which has to be the dumbest thing I've
ever heard.

So my boss comes to me today, with the most impeccable timing, gives me a
raise, and informally offers me a promotion - literally two weeks before I
am going to tell him I'm through hiking the PCT and he should never expect
to see me again after March. (I'm not down with the whole leave of absence
thing - we're just as likely to move across the country as to come back to
where we're living now.) So what has everyone else told their employers in
the past, or this year, when it came time to deliver the news? I mean, I
guess I'll tell him the truth - but what kind of reactions/responses/well
wishings/anger has everyone gotten? Just curious.

Andy