[pct-l] Response to Fear is a Choice

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Fri Jan 30 09:47:33 CST 2009

On Jan 30, 2009, at 1:09 AM, <ned at pacificcrestcustombuilders.com> wrote:

> Yes, by staying within the protective herd of assumed experienced
> through hikers, it is highly probable that you will go the
> distance. Your inexperience and lack of self-confidence born out of
> fear compels you to stay in groups for safety.

To be clear, I hiked the trail solo. If you are hiking within the
dates of the herd, the snow has a trail on top of it that you can
follow. Even so, I did lose the trail often to the point of maddening
annoyance, but I wasn't holding anybody's hand nor needing a compass
or a group. Trekking poles were sufficient. Grippier shoes would have
helped me.

By the way, I don't think that ice axes would have done anybody any
good. Anyone I saw who had one never took it off their pack. Perhaps
they used them more often in 2006. I saw the video from that year. I
think I would have cried every day if I had to walk in such an
austere, white landscape. It was like the desert all over again.