[pct-l] Bridge of the Gods

Jim Eagleton eagleton at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 31 09:57:11 CST 2009

When Earl Schaeffer first hiked the AT, he was incensed to have to pay a nickel to cross the Bear Mt Bridge (also essentially the low point on the trail.)  On one of my first section hikes, we finished a section there and wanted to go out on the bridge for the view.  The toll was up to 25 cents.  My partner didn't want to pay, so we negotiated/whined and the toll taker agreed to accept 25 cents for both of us to go half way across the bridge.  I probably would have paid 25 cents out and 25 cents back, each. so we may have gotten a 75% discount.  Shortly after this trip they gave up collecting from pedestrians.  I'm not sure how proud I am of my part in this progress.
Rambler