[pct-l] Cramming a BV450 - YMWV

Postholer public at postholer.com
Sat Jan 31 15:43:59 CST 2009

> Last summer when getting a permit from the ranger station just south
> of Lone Pine, the lady ranger said that she and her colleagues had
> stuffed nine days worth of food in the BV450.

9 food days to a ranger is definitely not 9 food days for a thru-hiker. The
fern feelers are on an unrealistic bender to get everyone to use bear
canisters, so a little embellishment goes a long way in promoting the
'cause'.

Let's look at it. Does anyone know of a higher calorie/volume 'food' than
canola oil? It's roughly 30,000 calories per gallon. That's what I'll use
for this example.

A BV450 is slightly less than 2 gallons. If you were to fill it with canola
oil, you'd have less than 60,000 calories at your disposal. Divide that by
10 days and you get:

~6,000 calories a day. Great! That's the upper end calorie requirement for
most thru-hikers. The oil maximizes the use of space in the canister and
it's calorie dense.

With that absurd example behind us, anyone care to offer a realistic food
example resulting in 60% of that calorie density?

Another question. Has anyone ever carried a canister for a 9 day/200+ mile
stretch with *all* their food in it? You either carried it in 2 canisters or
left a substantial portion out of the canister.

We would *love* to hear what past hikers did. Personally, I already know the
answer.
-postholer