[pct-l] Fw: SAR California

Mark Liechty mlaccs at mlaccs.com
Thu Jun 4 20:08:56 CDT 2009

Shutterbug steiner wrote:
> Every county in California has a mandate to have a SAR organization ..... all of the counties that I know run theirs through the county Sheriff department.
###############

Thanks for the lesson.  I am learning but still not connecting the dots
as this still turns out to be a payment from some magical source where
there is no money.

If I were the San Francisco County Sheriff and I were faced with the
budget mess they have I would cut SAR and force the mandate to be funded.

We are talking about a situation where unfunded mandates are coming to
an end and there are no funds.   Not $10,000 not $100 not $10.   Give me
the choice of letting the person who got lost in the woods die or
letting the rapist of of Jail and I keep the rapist locked up.

Same for the Sheriff of all of those small Northern CA Counties where
they won't have money to fund life or death critical services for people
they have known for years.

Those are the choices.   It is up to those of use who go to the woods to
understand that the risk is going to be higher.   Failing to do so could
have vary bad consequences.