[pct-l] Rattlesnake Hat Creek Rim

Danny Wormington airecrew at netzero.net
Thu Jun 11 18:09:15 CDT 2009

My wife (Jollylopper) Pat and I were hiking the Hat Creek Rim.  I was in
the lead, early morning, and racing ahead taking long deliberate steps.
Over the rise there was a rattlesnake, a very large one, coiled in the
middle of the trail.  He gave ample warning and drew  back his head
menacingly.  I tried to stop but my momentum carried me forward three or
four steps, so that by the time I actually stopped I was well within
range of the snake's  bite.  The snake, however, was very polite and,
though it continued to act aggressive,  it allowed me to retreat and
even take pictures when I was a safe distance away.  We gave the trail
to the snake who seemed content to just lay there and soak up the heat,
and tramped around through the brush.

Danny