[pct-l] you are awesome.

Shelly Leavens shellyleaves at gmail.com
Mon Mar 2 22:04:26 CST 2009

Perhaps its a little early to start getting all misty-eyed over the class of
'08 starting almost one year ago, but I can't help but tell you '09ers just
how awesome you are. Congratulations on taking the leap and carving out
about 5 months of your life to walk. Most of the non-hikers you will meet
along the way will be dumbfounded at your ability to do this.
Seems like there has been a massive influx of postings lately and I assume
that is because final planning for the season is in full effect.  This time
last year I was SO excited I could hardly concentrate on anything.  I am
feeling really antsy right now with the crocuses sprouting, birds beginning
to sing, and other signs of spring. I envy all of you that are headed out
there in the next couple of months. My only advice in planning (if you are)
is this: keep it simple. Spontaneity is the fruit of zero responsibility and
you should take full advantage of the opportunity to do whatever (and eat
whatever) you please.  Sure, we had mapped out town dates and drops, but
found they changed really dramatically past Kennedy Meadows. By staying
positive, flexible, and realizing that one of the best things about the
trail is the incredible people, you will have the most amazing adventure of
your life. No exaggeration. That is how I see it anyway.
Here's to PCT '09 - we'll throw you a party in Washington!

gooeyduck, and milk jug too. Seattle.