[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 15, Issue 11

Daniel Bailey greenhiker at gmail.com
Tue Mar 3 11:40:10 CST 2009

Emily,

The Whitney Permit is necessary to enter via Whitney Portal, which you won't
see as it is an alternate approach.  You'll be climbing via the trail from
Guitar Lake.

By the strict letter of the law, I do believe that you are supposed to
purchase a permit.  That said, I didn't see a ranger when I summited last
June on a Sunday.  I don't feel like I wasted my money, as I'm sure part of
it went toward maintaining the mountain, which sees a large number of
climbers every year.

Be well,

Senator