[pct-l] Pct-l Digest, Vol 15, Issue 10, Msg 7 Dogs from Campo to Julian SNAKES

Staley-Picolorich jeangrey at cruzio.com
Tue Mar 3 22:27:26 CST 2009

Sorry to weigh in so late in this thread - my observation is that dogs (or
not all dogs) do not have a scent recognition with snakes - visual, I would
think so.  However, my experience with my German Shepard/Heeler mix is this:
I tried to take the opportunity to teach her some snake avoidance with the
occasion of a garter snake being in the backyard.  She didn't seem to really
register the snake (or a creature) was there at all.  The same thing with
running into a fairly good sized (3-4 ft) king snake (I think) in the
Ventana wilderness.  The snake made its fortuitous escape, but my dog didn't
seem to recognize its scent or notice its movements at all.  In contrast, if
there is a rat or gopher or other rodent within 30 or 50 yards, she goes on
high alert and, if not restrainted, will go for it in a big way.

My own experience is that some water snakes have a definite musky smell, but
I'm not sure that snakes that are normal land dwellers have any at all.

Cruz Control