[pct-l] maps

Ikem Freeman ikem.freeman at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 13:50:41 CST 2009

I didn't carry maps for most of '08 hike because of weight ... instead, I'd
stop and talk to SoBo hikers and ask them if they had any maps they were
done with, and then later, I'd offer these same maps to other SoBo hikers,
just so I could get rid of the excess weight!

However, Eric the Black gave me a ride to town near Big Bear Lake, and I
bought the PCT Atlas for the next section of the trail. I loved it! What
great detail, and very easy to use! In fact, it saved me at one point ...
there was a junction in the trail, and to me, it looked like going straight
kept me on the PCT ... turns out the PCT made a 180 degree turn to the
right, but it was not clear to tell. After hiking about 1/2 mile on the
wrong trail, I pulled out the PCT atlas and it was easy to tell that I went
the wrong way.

If you have the PCT atlas, you won't need anything else!

O. Ikem Sofar.