[pct-l] Aquamira

Jim Eagleton eagleton at hotmail.com
Thu Mar 5 09:36:59 CST 2009

1)  Good Question.

2)  You are not smart enough for good questions.  For a safety question, you should be attempting to follow the instructions as closely as possible, not rellying on advice from whackos on the internet, many who don't think you need chemicals at all :0

3)  You touched on a problem I have had.  What do you do if you want to treat multiple bottles, but are not ready for a long break (or are just lazy).  I have made up a double batch with about 20% extra solution.  Then I just eye-ball the pouring of the solution into both bottles.   I'm not very comfortable with this and have only done it a couple of times.  Are you planning on taking a third dropper bottle?  This sounds like a good idea.  If you have an empty third bottle you can use this for mixing the other two.

4)  There are many "oxidizers" other than oxygen, chlorine dioxide is the strongest (compared to bleach, MSR Miox, and iodine).  Note, the concentration in the mixing cap is much different than the conditions in the water bottle.  A rule of thumb is that 20 drops in the cap are 1000 times more concentrated than the chlorine dioxide in the water bottle.  If the shelf life in the bottle is 4 days and the shelf life is linear with concentration, the shelf life in the cap is 6 minutes=0.1hr.  I'm sure the shelf life in the cap is much longer than this.  I would hope that if the life in the cap is less than one hour, there would be a warning in the directions.

Rambler,

Whacko Chemical Engineer