[pct-l] adding to Firefly regarding packs and outdoor youth groups

Connie Davis conniedavis at earthlink.net
Sat Mar 7 10:11:32 CST 2009

I recently did a presentation for a scout group here in BC on
lightweight backpacking.  I had the scoutmaster pack his pack for a 3
day-2 night early season hike in BC (without food and water) and I
did the same and then we had a weigh-off.  The scouts helped catalog
and weigh each item and we had a whiteboard with 2 columns, adding up
his weight and mine.  I came in at 15 pounds (6.8 kg) and he came in
at 30 (which is actually not too bad for most of the scoutmasters I
have met!)  I did a demo of my aluminum can stove and the following
week they made their own.

A game I have done with scouts is to fill a laundry basket of items
you would want to take backpacking and some you wouldn't (like blue
jeans, cotton sweat shirts, hair dryers, radios, etc). You also need
2 backpacks.  You put the laundry basket and backpacks at one end of
the room and form 2 relay teams.  Each team sends a member one at a
time up to the basket and they have to pick out an item and if they
would take it with them, put it in the backpack. If not, they throw
it out of the basket.  They race until all the items are gone and
then you go through the packs and have a discussion about the items
chosen.  The team with the pack with the most acceptable items
"wins" (although "winning" is usually forgotten by the end of the
relay.)

I ended with a slide show from Mongous' and my PCT thru hike in
2005.  The scoutmaster tells me they are all talking about hiking the
PCT now.

I did this after a separate meeting spent on Leave No Trace doing
interactive games.

I'd like to encourage other PCT hikers to work with groups that take
youth into the outdoors. You just don't know what will happen!
Firefly could be seeing them on the trail in a few years!

Lookout