[pct-l] Good News & Bad News

hiker97 at aol.com hiker97 at aol.com
Sun Mar 8 14:00:25 CDT 2009

Unsupported JMT Snow Bunny Reinhold writes: When I climbed Mt. Shasta 10-15 years ago everybody had a snow shovel for the purpose of digging in, because tents not pitched in a dug-out were prone to blow away....some say even with hikers in it.? It would, however, take a major hurricane to blow a tent away with Switchback in it.
Switchback replies: I know of one?skinny old backpacker that will be following us Chubby Buddy hikers when the storms hit and supplies run low.? We know how to prepare for the long haul.? Our only concern is that the Donner Pass syndrome does not kick in.? Yes, when times are good people make fun of us and our diligence to put up extra supplies.? But when hard times hit, then everyone wants to be our friend.? Our pal.? Our partner.? Yea, right.? You are own your own Snow Bunny.?

I also like it when you see a little snow in the Sierras and get excited.? Like it is a new Ice Age coming -- the glaciers are advancing toward SoCal.? I started hiking in the Sierras when the last Ice Age glaciers were retreating.? That was when backpackers were mountainmen and we staked saber tooth tigers and chased hot?Neantherhal chicks.? You would have never made it then.? Everytime you saw a little snow, you would be like the town crier alerting everyonoe of impending doom.? What a wimp.? Sad.