[pct-l] The Bad News????

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Mar 8 17:52:29 CDT 2009

Good afternoon,

The level of concern you hear about California snow depends upon to whom you
listen.  If you ask the water resource managers responsible for reservoirs
you will hear that the situation is so bad that the trout are carrying
canteens.  Conversely, it is understandable that anyone associated with the
California ski industry would overstate the level of snowpack.  They need to
show a happy face and influence every ski dollar to stay in the state rather
than fly off to Colorado for spring break.  Especially since
ftp://ftp.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/support/water/westwide/snowpack/wy2009/snow0902.gif
shows that Colorado is in pretty good shape while the Sierras are a bit
iffy.  http://cdec.water.ca.gov/cgi-progs/snow/DLYSWEQ.

On balance, it looks like the Sierra snowpack for us hikers may be around
average -- or slightly below -- by the time we get there.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye