[pct-l] Water Caches

Eric Lee saintgimp at hotmail.com
Tue Mar 10 22:45:03 CDT 2009

Ginny wrote:

Has anybody thought about putting out the water but not advertising them?
Then they are a treat - and not a disappointment or danger when they aren't
there.

Water caches, like several other perennially hot topics, can raise strong
opinions on both sides.  I agree with Ginny that in an ideal world, water
caches would be moved around frequently and not be advertised so that no one
would be able to make plans that rely on them.  That way they stay in the
realm of "trail magic" rather than "essential utilities".

But for better or worse, many of them are more or less permanent and the
volunteers who stock them put in a lot of effort to make them as well-known
and reliable as possible.  So to all who might want to base your safety
around them, the only thing we can say is - please, please, please remember
that all water caches are stocked on a best-effort basis only, and there are
_no guarantees_, and plan appropriately, whatever than may mean for you.

Eric