[pct-l] Canadian Entry Permit Denied

Vincent Rupp vincent.rupp at gmail.com
Wed Mar 11 20:46:52 CDT 2009

We should also hear a differing opinion on this matter. Not necessarily MY
opinion, just a counter-argument for balance.

The Canadians are kind enough to carve a spot in their governmental
bureaucracy to stamp the forms of most people who want to enter their
country from an unguarded United States trail. They don't have any
obligation to let us walk right in and, if they decide too many people are
coming in without respecting their process, they could shut it down. Then
we'd walk up to pat a fence, sigh wearily, and turn around to try to find an
alternative to the extremely convenient terminus in Manning Park.

Maybe the more appropriate course is for the PCTA (or some helpful
volunteers) to contact the authorities in Canada, find out what the rules
are, ask if there's an appeal process, and then post the information on
pcta.org so it's not a complete surprise a month before an applicant leaves
Campo.

Not sure what I'd do in the situation, but I know government officials
detest having their rules trampled (even by people who trample extremely
long distances to do so!).