[pct-l] denied entry to canada B

LumberJack themtgoat at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 12 02:36:50 CDT 2009

In 2007, I went to the Northern Terminus on a section hike, and since I did not have
the paperwork that time, I turned around, and hiked 4 miles back to a trail junction,
and then 23 miles over to Ross lake, and 15 miles back to Hwy 20, and hitched out.

miles 42=4+15+23
I supposed its longer, but you get to do new trail, instead of just back tracking.

If you do, do what I suggested, its a harder trail than the PCT, until you get to Ross
lake. Then its virtually flat, the last 15 miles. I suggest looking at a map before
committing, because the trail has some major up and down, and in 2007, the 23
mile section had lots of down trees on it. Contact me if you want more info.

-Mountain Goat-

Bob Bankhead
    wandering_bob at comcast.net

    Wed Mar 11 14:19:01 CDT 2009

The PCT ends at the US/Canadian border at Monument 78. It does not go into Canada although most hikers do.

>From there, another trail continues north for 7 miles, ending at Highway 3. You turn left and walk almost a mile west to Manning Park Lodge, from which you can catch a bus into Vancouver BC for your return home.

Your non-Canadian entry alternative would be to retrace your steps to either Harts Pass (39 miles) or Rainy Pass (69 miles) and you'd still have to hitch from either location. Your first real public transportation opportunity is all the way back in Steheken.