[pct-l] The parental aspect of hiking

Charlie & Nancy Zapp cnzapp at comcast.net
Thu Mar 12 08:13:42 CDT 2009

Well Sasha I am the father of three daughters. I would not have been
receptive to the idea of any of them hiking, as teenagers, a long
distance without adult supervision.  The adults would have to have
been people we knew and trusted. My wife and I did not start long
distance hiking until we were in our late 30's.  Since we have been
doing long distance hiking we have learned about and experienced the
trail community and the care and concern they have for each other.
While these folks are not the middle of the road average types, I
would trust our lives to them.  Today I would be willing to let
(actually encourage) our daughters and grand-daughters do long
distance hiking.  In fact while I would still have some concerns for
their well being, I would feel that they were safer doing that then
going into any large city where the supposed "normal" people are.
Until someone experiences the trail and the trail community, I don't
think they can understand any of this.  Hiking the Appalachian Trail
we have seen individual women start out in Georgia heading north.
They are not normally by themselves for long and will partner up with
other women or guys that hike at about the same speed/daily distance
as they are.  So there you go, I hope there is an answer in here
somewhere for you.
Piece of Work & Tough Little Cookie