[pct-l] The parental aspect of hiking

Kent Spring kjssail at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 12 12:46:30 CDT 2009

Hi Sasha -

I think your question a good one.    However, the answer is probably different for young
men versus young women, especially the history...  One might remember that the
first credited thru-hiker was Eric Ryback in 1970 at age 17.  At 17 (1962) I was allowed
to do anything that I could afford.  My sister was not, although it wasn't always
parental restrictions.  That has changed - thankfully - but there are still concerns.

However, it seems to me that there is nothing about being a 17 year old woman
on the PCT than being a 22 year old woman.  There was a young woman - I wish
I could remember her name - who was thru-hiking alone last year, I am not sure
that she made the whole PCT - who was 17 or 18, mattering which day you asked.

I guess the main concern, having 2 daughters and 3 granddaughter, I would have
is whether you are up to the hike and have the experience to handle that amount
of time alone.  You will definitely find friends on the trail - many college aged people
hike the PCT.

Good Luck and Happy Hiking, Kent