[pct-l] Shoes...How is everyone doing the shoes thing?

-Mountain Goat- themtgoat at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 12 19:40:10 CDT 2009

The answer varies somewhat. Ill start with What I did, and then generalize.

I had worn in 3 pairs of shoes. I started with 1 pair (#1) till Kennedy
Meadows, and switched to a slightly heavier pair (#2) for the Sierra. At
Seiad Valley, I switched from the Heavy pair (#2), which were worn out,
to (#3). so at this point #2 were worn out and thrown away after 800 miles
of Sierra.

I wore Pair #3 from Seiad valley to Cascade Locks, and threw them
away after 500 miles,because they were not as tough of shoes. From
Cascade Locks I went to Canada in Pair #1, with a total of 1200 miles.
There are a number of places to mail or
bounce box yourself a alternate pair of shoes, but Remember Oregon
is a harder place to bounce stuff in and out of. Ashland,and Cascade locks
are good places, but they are at the beginning and end of Oregon.

Now to generalize.
The average thru hiker will need 3-5 pairs of shoes. I recommend
you wear them in before the trail. Your experience will vary from
mine, but I only got blisters once, on Fuller Ridge, 8000' drop!
Ouch. So, breaking shoes in, pays off. At least it did for me.

I found if you buy good quality shoes, they can last 1200 miles!
For me, the New ballence 748 were my ticket. I generally get over 1000
miles out of the shoes. Your experience will no doubt vary, but good luck.
*After 1000 miles, they don't look very nice, but they work...

Thu Mar 12 03:43:36 CDT 2009
I am wondering how people do the shoes thing? I mean how many pairs are you
going to buy..Or have you bought when doing a thru hike?  Is one pair of
shoes good enough until I get to the sierras? Then will one pair last me
from then until Ashland? California is the main thing I am wondering about.
I will know more about what i am doing and what I want to do once I hit
Ashland. For the rest of the trip..Thanks everyone..

Sean C.