[pct-l] trail injurys

Postholer public at postholer.com
Fri Mar 13 20:48:11 CDT 2009

> the 5 most dangerous aspects of thru hiking are. I'm looking for
> input but in no particular order I have hypothermia, falling, river
> crossings, heart attacks, dehydration, rattlesnakes.

1. Poison oak
2. Poor hygiene/bad food resulting in a gastro-intestinal disorder.
3. Some sort of repetive motion injury appearing in someones feet or knees.
4. Listening to KennyG that inadvertently found it's way onto your iPod.
5. ?

Given the number of thru-hikers each year and the number of folks who've
suffered injury from one of those 5 items on your list are so miniscule,
it's almost unfair to mention them and draw undue alarm. But they certainly
can and do happen. Just be sure to present them in a fair context and the
wildly small hiker/incident ratio.

-postholer