[pct-l] trail fatalities

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Sat Mar 14 00:15:19 CDT 2009

"... the 5 most dangerous aspects of thru hiking ..."

My list:

1. Walking on roads
2. Creek crossings
3. Avoidable stuff, lack of wisdom

I'll stop at 3 as I think these are the big ones.
#1 is mostly about being hit by cars, but I guess could include
related issues (picked up by a driver you wish hadn't stopped ...)

#2 is arguably a subset of #3, or at least can be.

#3 is all about a host of ways that we hurt ourselves by being too
focused on a particular goal.  Continuing on in wet cold rather than
stopping and pitching tent and getting into sleeping bag.  Not being
willing to turn back when conditions warrant.  Picking up that snake
to show your machismo.   Going too ultralight in some fashion that
leaves you cold, hungry, or wounds untended.   Not wanting to get off
trail to have a potentially serious medical issue treated.    Etc etc.

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle