[pct-l] trail fatalities

Romano Scaturro romano at swiftwireless.com
Sat Mar 14 17:37:03 CDT 2009

In 2005, on our last night on top of Whitney during a SB JMT hike, we heard
helicopters buzzing over in the early evening.  Turns out a couple scouts
were killed by a lightning strike earlier that afternoon while trying to
hide in, of all places, a hollow tree just a few miles to the north during a
late July thunderstorm.

Now you might be wondering what in the heck we were doing spending the night
on top of Whitney during a thunder and lightning storm.  One of the dumber
things I've done in my life.  Didn't get alot of sleep that night and woke
up with an inch of snow around us.