[pct-l] Free Meal

walt martin waltm1cal at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 15 12:27:23 CDT 2009

1st) thanks to those who responded on my last thread about Permit Application Turnaround Time (I got it!!)

2nd)  the Free Meal. These guys are looking for volunteers (camper's) as course crew. http://www.deathride.com/volunteer.html

Seems like the kind of thing a PCT'er could appreciate. And a nice chance to take a zero day, with free clothing and meal.

I've yet to check the course vs pct route for crossings, but I'd imagine it's close.The ride is  7/11/09. May be a fun side attraction.

3rd) onto my preperations.

I've decided to use the tarp system.  But I still seem to have a huge base weight for that: sl bag, rei minimlist bivy(long), kelty 9' tarp, tar pad, bug net.

that's 6 lb's without a ground sheet. Which i'm still thinking i need.

Food still  a big unknown. I'm no cook, so i've been thinking about tons of trail mix and tuna pouches and canned soups.

Feeling slightly overwhelmed.

and finally...

4th) my last trip(trk driver) I had 34k lbs of Sam Adam's that I took from Cinncinnati, oh to San Diego, final route on I-8. As a driver,
i have plenty of time to fantasize, I thought it would have been a nice gesture to stop right there on the i-8 where the trail goes under, and offer  up my bounty. Alas, I'm too committed to the trip to spend this season in SD MCC.

c ya'll soon. W