[pct-l] Kennedy Meadows Drop Box

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Mar 15 16:55:59 CDT 2009

Good afternoon, All,

I’ve had incredibly good life from both types of carbide pole tips:  The
Leki cup pattern, as well as the Komperdel star pattern.  I find no
difference in how they grip or how they wear.  In fact, I’ve never seen an
actual carbide tip of either manufacturer that was worn out.  Maybe it could
happen if a person walked a great deal on pavement, but not on trails.  The
reason I’ve replaced tips was because the plastic above the tip wore away
which allowed the tip to bend or break off.

My replacements have always been Leki because they are more commonly
available where I shop.  They seem to fit the Komperdel/REI poles OK but
unfortunately the basket mountings are different between the two.  Komperdel
uses a quarter-turn lug arrangement while Leki baskets screw on.  Keep that
in mind when considering a change.

Steel-Eye

Hiking the Pct since before it was the PCT -- 1965

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye