[pct-l] PCT vs JMT

Jonathan Blees Jblees at energy.state.ca.us
Mon Mar 16 11:39:08 CDT 2009

Marion and Amanda wrote, in part:

I was reviewing my JMT  guide book and was reminded that the PCT and JMT diverge for a bit just past Devils Post Pile and then rejoin before Thousand Islands Lake.  Does anyone know why this is?  Does the PCT perhaps maintain a gentler grade than the JMT?  Any preferences on which way to go, scenery vs climbing or whatever?
<<<

I have taken all of these routes several times in both directions.  I love them all.

The trails diverge just before Minaret Falls.  The JMT then climbs steeply, passing near
several small lakes, then drops to Shadow Lake, then climbs Shadow
Creek, over a  small pass to Ruby and Garnet Lake (SPECTACULAR views but
scarce and restricted camping), over a pass and passing by Thousand
Island Lake (More SPECTACULAR scenery and more restricted camping.  At
this point the PCT joins again.
Meanwhile, the PCT goes past Minaret Falls and follows the river to
Agnew Meadows.  Here it climbs up switchbacks to the magnificent High
Trail, with wonderful views of the Minarets. It stays pretty level and
gradually climbs to meet the JMT at Thousand Island Lake.
There are many side routes off both trails, leading up creeks to lakes.
Done 'em all.  Never get tired of this place.  Off the beaten paths
(basically more than ten miles from Red's and Agnew on the Main trails,)
the crowds really thin out.   The scenery is always amazing.
<<<

Wildheart replies:

I second everything Marion said.  I'll add that there is a marvelous "off-trail" route -- actually, there's a pretty good use trail that is shown on some maps -- that leaves the JMT shortly after Shadow Lake and goes by Cecile, Iceberg, and Ediza Lakes before returning to the JMT south of Garnet Lake.  This route puts you smack dab at the base of the spectacular Minarets, and is well worth a little extra effort.  At the time "the herd" is passing through this area, there will probably be a good amount of snow still on the ground, but I doubt anything more difficult than you will have gone though on the high passes to the south.

In other news . . . I'll be section hiking from Taboose Pass to Tuolemne in mid July.  Hope to see a few thru-hiker "stragglers"; regardless, best wishes for a great hike to everyone!