[pct-l] newbie questions

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 11:50:44 CDT 2009

I had thought that the FAQ was aimed at answering this sort of thing;
maybe it will help on some of these topics,
http://postholer.com/faq.php

I too think that walking around outside barefoot with a pack is a bit
--- odd, and possibly risky, but I have no experience.  I did fine in
preparation just walking in the shoes I took on the trail.

I brought a gravity filter for the first 700 miles, which means that I
had the same potential problems you're concerned about in having to
pull up water, but I don't recall it being a problem.  The one issue I
do recall was pulling water up from an underground tank or two; you
might want some sort of water vessel that you can attach cord to for
something like that.

The ice axe question is asked every year, do a domain constrained
search on the archives.  Bottom line is that I think most people bring
an axe (or whippet), and in years such as last year (relatively low
snow), sometimes mail them home early.  It turned out that I didn't
need an axe last year.  Your experience this year could be quite
different.

Trail runners work fine, another topic that's been discussed a lot in
the past.  You could consider getting goretex socks, but just a spare
pair of wool socks is probably okay, plus I'd suggest a pair of
plastic bags to put between dry socks and wet shoes for in camp.

PCT data book only --- yet another topic that I encourage you to
search the archives on.  People do it, I think the majority prefer
some sort of map as well, plus some information on trail towns.  I
agree that Yogi's guide is well worth having, as well as some sort of
map, whether via the guidebooks or halfmile's maps or whatever.   Most
places you won't need a map. The few places you do, it's a really nice
thing to have.

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle