[pct-l] GPS (actually, PLB ...)

Brian Lewis brianle8 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 19:12:54 CDT 2009

Sean said:
"Anyways were talking about gear and stuff and he says "right and gps
youve got to have gps with some kind of emergency alert on it"."

I carried a GPS last year insofar as it was part of my cell phone, but
did not carry a PLB (Personal Locator Beacon).  From the context, I
think that the latter is what's being discussed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Personal_Locator_Beacon

Even though my trail name is "Gadget", I don't think any sort of GPS
is anything like essential.  It was helpful a couple of times on the
trail for me but very optional.  If doing the CDT I would consider it
a more important piece of equipment.

As I think someone else already mentioned, whether a PLB is something
you've "got to have" is something that's got to vary based your
personal situation, in particular, the state of mind(s) of the
person(s) at home who care about you.    I personally don't think that
a thru-hiker walking more or less in the normal time for a NOBO trip
needs such a device for actual safety.  It's not likely to take a ton
of time before someone comes along the trail and finds you if you have
problems.

Brian Lewis / Gadget '08
http://postholer.com/brianle